There’s nothing better than a cup of hot wine on a cold winter’s night. Also called mulled wine this is a rich winter recipe that is sure to set a tradition at your house.
Hot (mulled) Wine is a northern European beverage that has been heated and spiced. Traditionally, these concoctions are made with red wine as the base but a fruity white can also be used. Popular flavourings for mulled wine include oranges, lemons, vanilla pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice and peppercorns.
Spicy Hot Wine Recipe
- 1 bottle of red wine
- ½ cup water or juice (this is if you are going to be simmering for long periods of time – apple juice works well too)
- ½ cup brown or white sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 orange sliced into thin slices
- 1 lemon sliced into thin slices
- Pinch of allspice
- Put all ingredients into a large pot, stirring while bringing to the boil. Bring liquid to a gentle simmer, taste and tweak until the desired flavour is reached. Then when ready, turn off the heat and pour into a cup or glass of your choice. (Wine can be strained if you prefer.)
Tip: Simmer the mixture on low so you don’t evaporate the alcohol and if you’re serving this to guests, it’s always nice to offer savoury treats to counter the sweetness.
Images: sweetspot.ca, la-oc-foodie.blogspot.com